2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, plus more for brushing
2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
2 teaspoons white rice vinegar
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
For the stir fry (see note)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (not olive oil)
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
1½ cups chopped bok choy
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 tablespoons rice wine (shaoxing) or dry white wine, optional
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Notes: Use your favorite stir-fry recipe or try this one.
• This recipe was made with an 8-inch square waffle maker.
1. Make the waffled rice: If you have time, put the rice in a medium pot, cover with water by a few inches and stir until the water becomes cloudy. Strain in a strainer and repeat a few times until the water remains clear.
2. Put the rice in a medium pot with 1½ cups water. If you have time, let soak 30 minutes. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to low and cook undisturbed until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Stir in 2 tablespoons sesame oil, sesame seeds, vinegar, sugar and salt. Let cool completely; the rice can be refrigerated up to 1 day ahead of serving.
3. Preheat a waffle iron to medium high. Generously brush the top and bottom with sesame oil. Stir the eggs into the cooled rice. Evenly spread about ¼ of the rice mixture in the waffle iron. Close and cook until the rice is golden in spots and can be easily lifted out with a spatula, 2 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining rice mixture, and set aside.
4. Make the stir-fried chicken: Heat a skillet or wok over high heat. Add vegetable oil. When it shimmers, add onion, garlic and ginger, stirring constantly. After 1 minute, or if garlic starts to burn, add bell pepper and bok choy. Stir fry until bok choy is wilted and bell pepper is softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add chicken, soy sauce and optional rice wine and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is light golden brown on all sides. Add chicken stock and simmer until reduced by one-third. Stir in 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Stir together corn starch and water; add and cook until liquid thickens to desired texture.
6. Serve stir-fry over rice waffles.
Per serving: 536 calories; 19g fat; 6g saturated fat; 157mg cholesterol; 29g protein; 59g carbohydrate; 9g sugar; 2g fiber; 1009mg sodium; 62mg calcium
Recipe by Daniel Neman. Waffled rice recipe by Food Network Kitchen