We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
The Schwinn IC3 indoor exercise bike offers beginner and intermediate cyclists a low impact workout in the comfort of their home. The Schwinn IC3 can help a person increase their fitness and potentially reduce their risk of certain diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
This article looks at the features of the Schwinn IC3, its pros and cons, and the alternatives that are available.
Schwinn has been in operation since 1895, manufacturing bicycles for adults and children. Recent innovations and accessories that Schwinn has developed include electric bikes, trailers, and scooters.
Schwinn created its first stationary exercise bike in 1965. Schwinn Home Fitness now offers a full range of exercise machines for the home and gym, including bikes, treadmills, and elliptical trainers.
The company’s exercise bikes tend to be popular with beginner and intermediate riders.
Positive online reviews mention how many features Schwinn exercise bikes have for a relatively affordable price. Reviewers describe the bike frames as sturdy yet easy to move and say that they are conveniently sized for apartments and smaller homes.
Schwinn’s built-in exercise programs receive mentions in the reviews, while the tech additions — such as MP3 speaker sets, USB charging ports, and cooling fans — are also popular.
Repeat issues in negative reviews include:
- the company’s warranties could be more generous
- the low contrast on screens makes exercise data hard to read
- there is too little resistance on some models
The IC3 model, specifically, currently has a rating of 4.5 stars on Amazon, making it one of the most highly rated exercise bikes in its price bracket. At the time of writing, 75% of nearly 1,400 reviews give it the full 5 stars.
Many positive reviews of the IC3 mention that the bike is very sturdy, which may make it suitable for people who enjoy more intense workouts. Reviewers also remark that although it lacks the silence of an exercise bike with a magnetic drive, the flywheel is smooth and quiet.
However, some taller users report having difficulty riding the bike, even with the adjustable seat.
Please note that the writer has not tested the products in this article. All information is research-based.
According to Schwinn, the IC3 indoor exercise bike comes with the following features:
- 40-pound (lb) flywheel drive system, which is unusual in a lower priced bike
- dual SPD pedals, which allow users to switch between toe cages and shoe clips
- infinite resistance levels with an adjustable knob
- adjustable, padded, multigrip handlebars to provide comfort during long distance workouts
- adjustable, ventilated, racing-style seat, which a person can move vertically and horizontally
- LCD monitor, which tracks time, distance, speed, revolutions per minute (RPM), and calories burned
- compatibility with wireless heart rate monitors to show pulse
- media rack for phones and tablet devices
- water bottle holder
- castors to make moving the bike easy
The IC3 weighs approximately 100 lb and has a maximum weight capacity of 300 lb.
The bike does not come with pre-programmed workouts, so users will need to create their own workouts or follow an online workout on a separate device.
It also does not have Bluetooth connectivity. However, users can download and use apps, such as the Peloton app, to join online workouts.
A person can also search YouTube for workout videos specific to stationary exercise bikes.
The dimensions of the IC3 are:
- height: 49 inches (in)
- width: 23 in
- length: 45 in
Although warranty information for the Schwinn IC3 is not available on the Schwinn Fitness website, the manufacturer Nautilus provides the following warranty information:
- frame: 10 years
- mechanical parts: 2 years
- electronics: 1 year
- wear items: 6 months
- labor: 6 months
People looking for an indoor exercise bike can consider a range of options alongside the Schwinn IC3. These include:
- Schwinn Fitness 130 Upright Exercise Bike: The 130 model comes with 16 levels of resistance, built-in workout classes, and two app subscriptions. It also has Bluetooth connectivity, which means that users can pair it with other fitness apps.
- XTERRA Fitness FB350 Folding Exercise Bike: The FB350 may be ideal for people living in smaller homes and apartments, as they can fold it away and store it between workouts. It has eight levels of resistance and a built-in pulse sensor.
- YOSUDA Indoor Cycling Bike: This bike comes with a 35-lb flywheel and infinite resistance levels, as well as a digital monitor that displays times, speed, distance, and calories burned. An extra bracket allows users to place their tablet or smartphone on the bike during a workout.
- Echelon Connect Sport Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike: The Echelon, available exclusively through Walmart, comes with 32 resistance levels and a free 6-month membership that gives users access to 500 virtual fitness classes. Learn more about Echelon bikes here.
- Nautilus U616/U626 Upright Bike: This Bluetooth-enabled bike allows up to four different users to track their workouts and cycle in real-time with a built-in Explore the World app. It features 25 resistance levels and 29 pre-programmed workouts.
As with other forms of exercise, indoor cycling has many health benefits, but it also carries some risks.
Cycling, whether indoors or outdoors, is a low impact exercise that can help a person increase their fitness and overall health.
For instance, a 2016 study found that cycling can reduce a person’s risk of type 2 diabetes, while a
Cycling is a low impact exercise, which means that it is easier on the joints than other forms of exercise, such as jogging and high intensity interval training (HIIT).
Cycling can also benefit mental health. A
The coronavirus pandemic has forced many people to exercise at home in the last year. Sales of fitness equipment, including exercise bikes, have seen a sharp increase as a result.
For any indoor exercise, it is important to consider whether exercise equipment is suitable for the space available and will allow people to move around safely. With an exercise bike, a person should ensure that there are no hazards on the floor near the pedals and that the bike will not slip or move during the workout.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) advises beginners to build up physical activity slowly and gradually at first, increasing exercise intensity and duration as their fitness improves.
Stretching the muscles before and after exercise can help reduce the risk of injury. A person should also drink sufficient water before and after exercise to prevent dehydration. The AAOS advises listening to the body and taking a rest day from exercise if feeling fatigued.
Cycling on an indoor exercise bike can help improve physical and mental health while reducing the risk of serious health conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
The Schwinn IC3 may be a good choice for people who are interested in working out at home but are not looking for extra features, such as built-in workouts and connectivity to fitness apps.