A Chicago-based artist known for her abstract sculpture is exhibiting her work at South Suburban College in South Holland. Erin Smego’s “Secondhand Aesthetics” is on display in the Dorothea Thiel Gallery at 15800 S. State St., in South Holland. The installation consists of abstract sculptures that “examine and deconstruct gender […]
A Chicago-based artist known for her abstract sculpture is exhibiting her work at South Suburban College in South Holland.
Erin Smego’s “Secondhand Aesthetics” is on display in the Dorothea Thiel Gallery at 15800 S. State St., in South Holland. The installation consists of abstract sculptures that “examine and deconstruct gender expectations through off-the-shelf fashions, textiles and construction materials.”
“I always love making art,” Smego said. “It’s honestly a blessing and a curse sometimes, but today was a nice reminder of how sometimes it’s fun to just enjoy the art for what it is.”
Smego earned her bachelor’s degree from the School of the Art Institute in Chicago.
Her honors include an Edna L. Cushing Annual Memorial Prize in a juried show Elements of Abstraction at the St. Louis Artists’ Guild and a Working Artist Organization Grant. Smego also served as artist-in-residence at the Chicago Artists Coalition HATCH Project.
- WATCH NOW: Pair charged with murder after tortured 3-year-old dies, police say
- Teen charged with rape during school active shooter drill, courts say
- Woman faces up to 12 years in ‘execution-style’ killings of 2 teens
- Child in critical condition after repeatedly being beaten, bound, courts allege
- 2 men, pregnant woman lure Good Samaritan into violent trap in Highland robbery, police say
- Boil advisory in effect for all Valparaiso water customers south of Evans Avenue
- Mother charged with murdering 3-year-old makes first court appearance
- WATCH NOW: McDermott fires up joint in Senate campaign ad calling for legal pot
- Westbound U.S. 30 in Valparaiso shut down for crash, police say
- Indiana gasoline taxes in May will reach highest level in state history
- Airport Supersaver bus stop in Highland sold, likely to be redeveloped
- 2 charged in woman’s 2019 homicide won’t be tried together, judge rules
- Man helped dispose of bodies after triple homicide, police allege
- Motorist killed in U.S. 30 crash was former longtime Valpo officer, department says
- Valpo-area woman charged after remains of cat, rabbit and other pets found at abandoned home
A closing artist reception for “Secondhand Aesthetics” will take place at 1 p.m. April 27.
The exhibit on the fourth floor of South Suburban College’s Main Campus is free and open to the public.
The gallery is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Masks, social distancing and temperature checks are required on the college campus.
For more information, email [email protected] or call 708-596-2000, ext. 2316.
Receive the latest in local entertainment news in your inbox weekly!